banner ad

True Ghost Stories: Little Girl in Plaid

fiji house

Terre Haute, IN

By E. B.


The last place you’d expect to hear about a ghost sighting is a fraternity house, but the Fiji House at Rose-Hulman Institute has it’s own tragic spirit.

The Barhydt-Ehrmann Home, located in Terre Haute, Indiana, was built in the 1920s. The home was built by Theodore Wells Barhydt for his wife Henrietta. It was Mr. Barhydt’s dream home, but he was only able to enjoy it for a short while. He died in 1927 at the age of 59.

His widow Henrietta later married Albert D. Ehrmann and lived in the home until her death (in the home) in 1954 at the age of 80.
The home was sold to a family, and then in the fall of 1970 the house was bought by the Rose-Hulman chapter of the Phi Gamma Delta fraternity.
Today, the house is occupied by a rotation of 20 brothers, and stories of ghostly encounters are as much a part of the house as they are of the fraternity itself.

Strange happenings, apparitions, and ghostly events seem to be the legacy of the house as much as the traditions of the fraternity itself. Every semester, it seems, someone has another spooky tale to share of something slightly off putting, something disturbing, or downright frightening happening within the walls of the home.

Before school started one year, a brother was preparing the house ready for the latest slew of comrades. There’s a large main living room area downstairs with a a set of French doors dividing it from the main dining area. He was washing paint brushes in the main room when he felt a cold breeze. Looking up and through the French doors, he saw a little girl in a plaid dress. He blinked his eyes and she was gone.

He thought he heard her laugh, but there was no one there.


At night they would hear a child playing at the top of the staircase, but when they would check, there would be nothing there.

Others report walking up the stairwell and experiencing a chill sweeping through their body, and then a cell phone or music player they were using would power off.

At winter break one year, all the brothers had gone home expect for one student who stayed behind with his girlfriend. They were relaxing in his room when they heard the sound of a something being thrown up and down the hallway outside their door. When he got up to check the hallway, no one was there. This happened several times, each time being startled by a commotion right outside the door, and then checking to see who was doing it, but never catching anyone or anything in the hall.

The mystery of the little girl was finally solved when two local ladies stopped in for a visit. Yes, there had been a little girl who lived in the house. She died of pneumonia at a young age, and it was recalled that she had been buried in a plaid dress.

The fraternity is still active and continues to use the house today.